Metal roofs are, as the name suggests, a type of roofing system that involves metallic components that are characterized by their high maintenance, impermeability, and longevity. The most commonly used metals for metal roofing are zinc, copper, and steel alloys.
Historically, copper has played a significant role in global architecture. Its influence and use can be clearly observed over the course of several hundred years. Copper roof shingles were installed atop the Lovamahapaya Temple in Sri Lanka.The Romans used copper as roof covering for the Pantheon. European medieval architecture employed copper and its alloys into its design. St. Mary’s Cathedral in Hildesheim was installed in 1280 AD and was destroyed during the second World War. The roof at Kronborg, one of Northern Europe’s most important Renaissance castles, was installed in 1585 A.D.
Metal roof installations are incredibly popular due to the multiple advantages the roof type provides, economically and otherwise. Some of these advantages are,
- Longevity- A traditional asphalt based roof has a life expectancy of 12-20 years. The life-span of a metal roof is somewhere between 40-70 years.
- Durability- metal roofs can be unbelievably durable, depending on the material used. If properly installed, a metal roof can withstand stormy winds of up to 237 KM/ hour. It will
- also not corrode or crack. It might also be able to withstand certain impacts. Moreover, metal roofs do not incur the cost of constant repairs.
- Safety- One of the biggest advantages of a metal roof is the added safety. A metal cave, due to its durability, will not cave during storms, ignite during a wildfire, or spark during lightning storms.
- Energy Efficiency- In today’s environmental decline, energy efficiency can no longer be a fancy term that is thrown around in board-room meetings and in climate change summits. It needs to be a reality. Metal roofs are insanely energy efficient because they can reflect the UV rays and infrared light rays which are responsible for roof surface radiant heat. This leads to heightened energy consumption. Metal roofs can reduce energy consumption by 10- 25% by significantly reducing the cooling costs.
- Environmentally- Friendly- Metal roofs are made of recyclable materials. The recyclable content of metal roofs lies somewhere between 25-95%. A metal roof can be completely recycled and reused as a brand new roof whereas its counterpart cannot.
RGS, Malaysia is a one stop enterprise for all of one’s roofing and gutter based services. The company installs brand new metal roofs on newly constructed steel frame structures, dismantle old roofs and install new ones, and lay in a new roof over the existing metal roof. The company provides a five year warranty and guarantees that it will repair any and all damages caused in the said five years for free. The company also boasts leak proof roofs. There are two types of metal roofs that are common in today’s roofing industry, screw type metal roof and clip lock metal roof (screwless). RGS’s choice of metal for roof installations is AZ150 Zincalume metal roof sheet from NS BlueScope. The material comes with a 25 year long warranty.